Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Dustin's Draft Analysis, Part 1

Okay, sorry for being a little late on this analysis of the draft. Let us get to the story. As usual I will give the good, the bad and the ugly to each team and I will give a prediction on how their season will pan out. I will be sending these in three installments.

Average Joes - This team seems balanced on pitching and on offense with the standouts being Headley and Bruce. Ethier will have a breakout season.
Bad- Chris young the hitter, this dude has to learn to hit for average and for 20 bucks I think his average will hurt more than his speed and power will help you.
Ugly- I would throw Arroyo off a train right now, ditch him. He has so many problems.
Good- It seems everybody is in the same price range, so I don’t have a real standout. But you had good young keepers and I think Dickerson will prove his worth if baker gives him PT. Projected finish 5th.

Barca Beaners - Jim has the best hitter in the league hands down. But will that be enough to win the title, I don’t know. You will get definite pop from Pujols, Wright and Ibanez, but where else?
Ross? Or Hall? Not this year. Pitching would be a stronger point if Hamels elbow wasn’t so tender.
Bad- Hamels, if his elbow cannot hold up.
Ugly- Cueto, flash in the pan or young promising stud?
Good- There is three guys I really like; Fontenot for 7, he is ready for a good year in a stacked lineup. Lewis, I really wanted him. He is a 15-20 hr dude with wheels in an improving lineup. Ibanez is who will have a monster year, no doubt. Projected finish it is hard to say. Maybe the Beaners will end up as high as fourth or as low as 8th or 9th. 7th is my suggestion.

Slumpbusters - The hitting for this team will carry it through the season and deep into the playoffs.
And at this time I’m writing this Calvin has two-three starters from the OF on his bench. That tells you his OF is deep. His pitching is not as good as it may seem. Lincecum and Billinsley are studs, no which way about it. Then the rest of the staff has to pick up the slack. I’m not sold on Kershaw just yet, give him time and he might be good. Sanchez and Perez are lefties with mental or past injury problems, no thanks. Wellemeyer is the wildcard, He could help the two go to guys or he could just lie down. Franklin could be a great pickup if C.Perez doesn’t get healthy.
Bad- Perez, I know he was only 8 dollars, but he is in mental distress right now.
Ugly- It has to be Milton Bradley; Mix a head case with an injury past and it adds up to a troubling season on a great team.
He could prove me wrong though.
Good- Calvin has three great keepers in Russell, Cantu and Lincecum, but I really like Billingsley for 25. This dude will battle for the CY if he keeps his walks under control. Projected finish 3rd.

Duffers - Where to start. Dan went with the reliever approach instead of being starter heavy. I don’t think there is any middle ground here. Either the Duffer’s rock with the pitching or his starters blow up and ruin his precious era, whip, and k-bb. His hitting will carry him through the season much like the Slumpbuster’s. But I don’t think the duffer’s can go as deep into the playoffs without better starters. The Duffer’s have two young hitters in Pence and Kemp that I really think will thrive. These two will provide some spark to this team.
Bad- Volquez, You ask really? I saw him pitch in WBC and he didn’t look good. I brushed it off thinking he was just rusty. Now I think this guy was over pitched last year, No doubt Dusty Baker is managing. Just ask Prior how he is doing of late.
Ugly- The three left handed pitchers’s on the staff. Johnson might rebound but I doubt it, He is old and old. Olsen is young enough to turn it around but his whip and k-bb is atrocious. I like Parra in about two years when he has developed as a pitcher in a hitter’s ballpark.
Good- It is the hitting. I think two or thee guys will have career years; Encarnacion, K . Johnson and Tulo. Projected finish 9th.

No comments: